Cars are a heavy expenditure and a precious possession for their owners. A good car owner never fails to ensure that it sparkles and shines just like it was when bought from the showroom. However, most car owners often ignore the wheels. Alloy wheels not only add to the elegance and appearance of the car, but also promise enhanced performance and a smooth drive.
Don’t forget that it’s the wheels that are more prone to dust, grime, and dirt. So, shouldn’t the alloy wheels be more or equally cared for as the car’s body?
Now, you know why your neighbor’s car sparkles more than yours despite regular cleaning. You missed paying attention to the wheels.
Better late than never
Brake dust, grime, and dirt are bound to accumulate on wheels while on the run as they are the most exposed to the elements and debris from the road. This can be taken care of by proper cleaning and washing. However, scratches, curb rash, bends etc. demand alloy wheel repair by expert wheel specialists.
For cleaning, you can follow the listed regime:
First, prepare your wheels for the cleaning process. Alloy wheels are made with a combination of metals, which are durable, shiny and strong. They need special care when cleaned. You just cannot scrub it with any cloth. A soft cloth, free from roughness must be used to avoid damage to the wheels. Similarly, special brushes with soft bristles are required for cleaning. So, before you start make sure you have all these things handy.
Moreover, brake dust and dirt can cause corrosion during cleaning. So, before beginning, wash off corrosive materials like dust particles and brake dust with a garden hose.
Now, it’s time for the cleaning process to begin.
- Soft soap cleaners for alloy wheels are available in the market. Purchase one of these bottles and spray it generously over the wheels. Allow it to soak for a minute and then clean it with a soft cloth. Repeat this unless all the dirt is shooed away. Do not use harsh detergents.
- Baked on brake dust is a nightmare for the wheels. This can be removed with a special alcohol based solution specially designed for removal of brake dust. Apply the solution on a microfiber cloth and clean the brake dust away.
- Odds are high that traces of alcohol and brake dust might be left behind after the cleaning process. It is therefore advisable to re-wash the wheels with warm soapy water to wash the residues away.
- Do you agree that a set of shiny, sparkling wheels are better than “merely-cleaned” wheels. Post cleaning, polishing brings the required shine to the wheels and leaves them looking as good as new.
- Finally, wash the wheels thoroughly and dry them immediately to avoid any water stains created due to quick heating.
Follow this process for clean, sparkling wheels. However, while cleaning, if you notice rash, scratches or any other damage, ensure visiting a wheel specialist for alloy wheel repair. Timely care will save your wheels from further damage.